Friday, June 8, 2012

Barnabas Collins WIP

I love Dark Shadows.

Even though I'm not old enough--I don't get to say that nearly enough--to have seen it during its original run on tv, the local PBS station aired it every night at 11 in the late 80's, and I watched it then and fell in love with the gothic melodrama of it all.

I enjoyed the half-season run of the early 90's revival series as well.  I thought Ben Cross was a fine Barnabas Collins, just not as good as Jonathan Frid.

I plan on seeing the new film, and I have yet to be disappointed in a Burton/Depp collaboration, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it on its own merits.

However, the original source material will always be my favorite, and so I thought I'd share with you a work-in-progress of Barnabas Collins, as brought to (un)life by Jonathan Frid.




It's not a perfect likeness, but I don't really need it to be. If it's recognizable as Frid, I've done well enough. I'll keep you updated on the progress--I really only get to sit down and draw for a few minutes at a time anymore.

 I hope you'll keep checking back to see it, plus I've got a bit of big news for later in the summer that I hope you'll enjoy and help me share.

 Keep creating!

 Brad

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad! I was just popping in over here to see if you had a progress update. :) I hope you're having a most excellent summer break and I look forward to seeing what you think about the new Dark Shadows movie. The previews had me busting a gut, but I have yet to go see it. Can't wait to see your finished work, what you have going here looks great! :D

    ~Kelly Said

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw the original but I did see the recent film a couple of weeks ago. I have nothing to compare it too but it had some definite funny moments! And I agree that Burton and Depp are a great collaborative pair.

    ReplyDelete